Saturday, December 12, 2009

Eilen Jewell Band

My life's been my art and I've told it in my songs...

Eilen Jewell Band with Jeremy Lyons at Me&Thee

Eilen Jewell has quite a following in the Cambridge area and I had always heard great things about her and her band. But this was my first chance to see them and Me & Thee Coffeehouse was a great venue. If you haven't been, Me & Thee is a great Friday night music series, held for the past 40 years at the UU church in the beautiful seaside town of Marblehead.

Eilen has a smooth and sultry voice and her country infused songs are great. Her backing band is top notch, including electric guitar, upright bass and drums. I'd put them somewhere between Neko Case and Boston's own Sarah Borges (who they recently toured with).

They played original songs mostly from their excellent album "Sea of Tears" (which I picked up at the show) and their 2007 album "Letters from Sinners and Strangers". Plus, a few choice covers by Them, Johnny Kidd, Yardbirds and Loretta Lynn.

 

Eilen Jewell Band is Eilen Jewell (vocals, guitar),  Jason Beek (drums, harmony vocals), Jerry Miller (electric, acoustic, and steel guitars), and Johnny Sciascia (upright bass)

They also have a gospel side project called The Sacred Shakers, which adds a few more members on vocals.

We only caught part of Jeremy Lyons' set, but he played some amazing (acoustic) slide guitar. He's also playing in Members of Morphine and we must go see them

Upcoming shows
  • Jan 28, 29 @ Club Passim
More info:

No comments: